Saturday, June 9, 2012

Success is just around the corner

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

I don't know why but ever since I read this quote a few years ago, it stuck with me. It made me really think about everything I was doing with my life and in one occasion, when I was loosing steam and thinking that maybe I had to start doing something else, it actually made me have the strength to continue going after my dream. His quote immediately came to my mind and I thought to myself: "I can't give up now, I might be really close to success, just need to keep going a little longer".

I admire Thomas Edison for his determination and accomplishments. I may even say that perhaps there's a little bit of stubborness in that mix, something I definitely also have and I won't settle until I get what I want.

I also liked his philosophy on failures. When working to invent the lightbulb, he said: "I will not say I failed 1000 times. I will say that I discovered there are 1000 ways that can cause failure".

To me that is a great mentality to have. When you try something one way first and it doesn't work, it doesn't mean that it can't be done, you just try it again a little bit differently the second time.

It's like walking down a path and all of the sudden seeing this huge steep mountain in front of you. Sure, it might be hard to climb it and you might even fail to do so, but how about going around it? The path could be longer, but you can still continue on forward one way or another. You might be really close to getting to the other side but if you turn around now, how would you know?

So I will leave my thanks to Thomas Edison because perhaps by not even realizing, those words spoken so long ago, were able to keep this girl here going and more determined than ever to go after her dreams.

1 comment:

zzaguiar said...

Lú, parece do alto de Itacoa, é?

Bjs, zz.